Founded by an Australian-based company, Scenic Tours, which started in 1986 as a coach tour company serving Australia. By 1995 the company had grown well past it’s homeland borders and had become a world-wide tour company.
In 2005, Scenic began to charter river cruise ships for its guests traveling in Europe and in 2008, the company launched an upscale river cruise line with its own ships, branded as “Scenic Space Ships.” While Scenic’s luxury brand catered to travelers who were seeking upscale river cruise experiences, the company also saw a need to serve the less-affluent (and possibly younger) travelers. Like the Scenic brand, Emerald Waterways has custom-crafted vessels referred to as “Star Ships” that began sailing on a few of the European rivers in early 2014.
Glen Moroney, the owner of Scenic, said that Emerald is a “four-star product operating on five-star hardware.”
Emerald Waterways is a perfect fit for River cruises that:
- Are fairly active; want to get out and SEE the places they are visiting
- Are happy with wine beer and soft drinks with lunch/dinner.
- Are happy with the one (at least) included tour in port, or willing to purchase of additional tours (2-3 per itin offered) are fairly priced as is liquor, if desired
- Enjoys bicycles, activity directors, occasional yoga, walks; stay busy
- Enjoys traveling like-minded individuals; tend to ‘hang out’ in evening time making new friends, up on deck, enjoying scenery and reviewing the day/next day
- Food and service is important but not the end of the world….know that special requests, provided in advance, are easy to provide
- Enjoy exploration, new friends; we have Australians, Canadians and Brits traveling with us so prepare to talk international and brush up on trivia
- With the pool that turns into a theatre and the upscale contemporary feel – we attract a ‘young minded’ mid $ traveler who is more of a traveler than a tourist
- Value, value, value mostly all inclusive and you CAN get off an Emerald ship without spending any $ at all!